Leone de Castris
THE HISTORY AND THE COMPANY
Puglia is a region that, from the point of view of wine, in recent decades has experienced a radical change of image. If once the wine cultivated here was destined to travel to northern Italy and Europe as a "cut" product, today it is characterized by great quality and potential, due to the presence of important native grapes, almost endless. Among all the present realities, surely there is one that can boast a centuries-old history and an exceptional prestige: it is the Leone de Castris, a company located in the municipality of Salice Salentino, not far from the wonderful Lecce. This winery has a very ancient history, dating back to 1655, when Oronzo Arcangelo Maria Francesco of the Counts of Lemos, falling in love with the Apulian landscapes, decided to sell part of his possessions in Spain to give life to the company. Later, at the beginning of the 19th century, the winery began exporting wine to France, Germany and the United States and, in 1925, with Piero and Lisetta de Castris, the first vintages began to be bottled with their own brand. From this moment the company's history underwent a strong development, guided by the success of the Five Roses, rosé wine icon of Salento produced in 1943 and immediately exported to the USA. Today the Leone de Castris is run by Piernicola, nephew of Piero and Lisetta and son of Salvatore Leone de Castris, and covers an area of 250 hectares with an annual production of about 2.5 million bottles. Work in the vineyard and in the cellar is carried out according to conventional practices and different vines are cultivated, including the renowned negroamaro, salice salentino, aleatico, primitivo and susamaniello, from which more than 30 labels come to life; among these, the "Donna Lisa", the Rosso Riserva "50 ° Vendemmia" and the lines "Per Lui" and "Il Medaglione" stand out. Fine and elegant wines with character, which take flight every day towards new strategic markets such as Singapore, Canada, Brazil, Japan, China and Hong Kong.