The name of this prestigious winery originates in the sixteenth century and the noble family Thaulero, who lived in the Abruzzo region, in the heart of Italy. As time passed, the small area where the family lived took the name of “Casal Thaulero” [literally: hamlet of the Thaulero] in honor of the family’s meritorious history. We find references to the family in a marriage agreement dated March 9, 1738 describing the dowry, from the trousseau to the vineyards, given to Angela Thaulero, daughter of Don Francesco Thaulero.
Towards the end of the 1800s, Duke Giovanni Thaulero, Don Francesco’s son, began work to refurbish his properties, planting vines and building a large cutting-edge winery. An ardent innovator with a yen for experimentation, he is considered to be one of Abruzzo’s earliest vintners, a true precursor of viticulture in the region.
The Thaulero’s time-honored winemaking culture was embraced by local winegrowers in 1961, keeping this distinguished history alive to this day. Well grounded in traditional and committed to hard work, the new organization allowed the winery to grow and prosper: Casal Thaulero was the first winery in Abruzzo to obtain the right to bottle wine with a DOC label.
From its noble origins, this story of passion and dedication continues to this day, with Casal Thaulero wines now known and appreciated around the world.