Cantine di Marzo
n 1647 Scipione di Marzo fled his hometown of San Paolo Belsito located near the town of Nola.
He settled in Tufo where he built his winery. Throughout the centuries the di Marzo family became one of the major land owners in the region. In 1866, Francesco di Marzo, while riding on his estate, saw some shepherds burning rocks to keep warm. While examining these rocks, he understood they were burning brimstone found on his land. With this discovery, the family began a large mining activity of natural brimstone, essential for agriculture. The company supplied farmers around the region and employed up to 500 people up to the early 1980’s when the mines ran out.
Today still, the di Marzo processing plant remains a reference of XIXth century industrial architecture and is visited regularly by students in architecture. Other members of the family continued to play a leading role in the development of the region. Donato di Marzo was a member of parliament and a senator from 1880 to 1911. His role was essential in the development of the railway in the region. Vito di Marzo in the twenties and thirties was also a member of parliament and a major industrial figure. Finally also in the twenties, Alberto di Marzo was a member of parliament and is especially well known as an accomplished sportsman with a passion for car racing. He organized among other things the local car race called “Principe di Piemonte“.
n 1647 Scipione di Marzo, first known ancestor of the family, left his hometown of San Paolo Belsito near the town of Nola to flee from the plague that was ravaging the region. He took with him some vines of a local white variety called at the time Greco del Vesuvio or Greco di Somma. Once settled in Tufo, he planted this variety in a region previously planted mostly in red. He became the founder of the wine Greco di Tufo. In 1648 he established his winery and the family palazzo in the walls surrounding the village which now are one of the main architectural features of the village. These two constructions are the architectural heritage of the estate and today still, it is in this winery that the wine is produced, the Greco di Tufo in particular. Located in the town centre, the winery and the palazzo form an integral part of the original town walls. The seventeenth century palazzo is typical of the architectural style of that period. The winery consists of a series of caves and tunnels dug by hand in the rock.
This gives a stable temperature throughout the year. The winery is structured over many levels with a drop of more than 20 meters allowing the use of gravity when moving the must and the wine. This prevents violent movements of the wine in the wine making process. The winery uses the latest technology and first class consultants: Paolo Caciorgna and Emilia Tartaglione for the still wines, and Maurizio Baldi for the sparkling ones. The wine making process is followed very carefully so that the wine may express all the personality given by the territory. Thanks to this historical heritage and to vanguard winemaking techniques, the di Marzo winery is the proud witness of a tradition that dates back to the middle ages. The winery is regularly visited by tourists who wish to see a different aspect of the Campania region, or simply to try wines with a taste of territoire.