Orvieto is a wine celebrated since ancient times, especially in Rome where it abounded in the canteens of the prelates and the banquets of the Vatican nobility. A long history, full of tasty anecdotes, like that of Pinturicchio, who signed the agreement for the fresco of the chapel of Santa Maria Maggiore in Orvieto in 1496 "wine of Orvieto at will"! The modern history of Orvieto is closely linked to the birth of Luigi Bigi Wine House in 1880. Thanks to the commercial intuitions of Luigi Bigi, its founder
The first headquarters of the Casa Vinicola Bigi was the former monastery of "La Trinità" in Orvieto, an ancient Franciscan convent confiscated by the Italian State in 1870. To meet the need to produce at its best, in 1972 Bigi moved into the modern wine cellar in the Ponte Giulio area, not far from the ancient city of Orvieto. The current headquarters, with a production capacity of 30000 hectoliters, with state-of-the-art wine-making equipment and a large park of barrels and barriques for aging, perfectly combines modern technical production requirements with centuries-old tradition. The owned vineyards (136 hectares) are located in the "classic" area, the oldest, of the DOC Orvieto, with 70% of white grapes planted on the hilly terrain of variable altitude between 150 and 450 meters, basically clayey. Inspired by the potential of its own territory, over the years Bigi has achieved truly enviable results. Thanks to the capable work of its winemakers and thanks to the wide availability of vineyards, the company has diversified its range of products with very interesting reds, based on Sangiovese grapes from Umbria, alone or together with other vines that alongside the classic white Orvieto Classico, Grechetto and Est! Est !! Est !!!