Brunello di Montalcino 2012 Castello Romitorio DOCG
- Brunello di Montalcino
- Vino rosso
- Production area
- Grape variety
- 100% Sangiovese
- Type of harvest
- Manuale in cassette
- Yield per hectare
- 30-50 q.li/ha
- In acciaio a temperatura controllata
- Aging of wine
- 12 mesi in tonneaux di rovere Francese, 14 mesi in botti di rovere di Slavonia ed infine 6 mesi in bottiglia
- 14,00% vol.
- Total acidity
- 5,60 g/l
- Serving temperature
- 18-20 °C
- 0,75 l.
- Rosso rubino dal bordo trasparente
- Intenso e persistente. Sentori di piccoli frutti come more e lamponi e accenni floreali
- Morbido ed equilibrato. Si denotano piccoli frutti come more e lamponi. Un Brunello dall'ottima struttura e persistenza e dalle eccezionali qualit
The finest things in life are often hidden away, in fact the Castello Romitorio winery takes its name from the massive twelfth-century fortress that sits atop a hill surrounded by thick oak forest in Northwestern Montalcino. Its name suggests that the edifice served multiple uses throughout its history probably as fortress as well as Monastery, making it a location that is remote in time and space.
Abandoned in the 1950’s its rebirth as a winery occurred in 1984 when Artist Sandro Chia acquired the estate from his friend Baron Giorgio Franchetti. The restoration of ‘Castello Romitorio’ began immediately, followed by the transformation of its overgrown lands into vineyards, and the construction of a cellar on the Castle’s ground floor. Twenty years later in the year 2006, the winery broke ground on a new state-of-the art underground cellar completed in 2007.
The cellar is a bucolic setting, a blend of classical objects of art and natural building materials. Monolithic rocks coming directly from the construction of our vineyards line the outer walls as if the cellar grew from the earth it stands on. Inside this vast, mostly underground space are arranged in straight lines the wooden casks interrupted only by inspiring works of art, which accompany our wines throughout the ageing process under our winemaker Stefano Martini.